Camp Jackson was organized around May 1861, for the enrolling, outfitting and training of troops to serve in the Confederate States Army. Located on land owned by David Sexton locally referred to as "the old fairground," it was adjacent the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad. It is thought the camp extended from 8th Street to 26th Street east and west from Railroad Avenue to Main Street north and south. The camp was commanded by Brigadier General John Buchanan Floyd with Colonel Henry Heth serving as Executive Office. Regiments and units including the 45th Virginia Infantry were processed here. Recruits from Tazewell, Wythe, Bland, Carroll, Amherst, Smyth, Nelson, Patrick, and Grayson counties made of other companies. At least four regiments from Mississippi and Alabama passed through by railroad en route to Richmond. By July 3, 1861, the were twenty companies in camp. Some better known were the Wythe Grays, Davis Chargers, Wythe Minute Men, Wythe Rifles, and the Mount Airy Rough and Ready Company. Measles, pox, tuberculosis, and whooping cough ravished the troops. At least one suspected spy was arrested at the camp. There is no record of how long Camp Jackson was in existence.
Information used by permission of John M. Johnson
After years of talking, the Wytheville Dept. of Museums and local historians formed a committee to raise funds for a historical marker to be placed at Camp Jackson. All funds have been raised and the marker has been received. An unveiling ceremony is in the planning stages for mid-July. Thank you to everyone who made this possible.